Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Film Review... The Artist!

This past weekend I saw The Artist. I must say, it was AMAZING! And although I expected it to be so, it surpassed those expectations. I loved the film's blending of humour and reality; though it was quirky and adorable and funny it also had its "heartstring" moments. Watching the film gave me the impression of stepping out of the real world and into some wonderful dream land full of wonderful people, which is exactly what early film was about; escapism. It did not rely on charm and quirk, however. The director embraced the reality of Valentin's situation. There is one dramatic and ambiguous point near the end of the film that made many a movie-goer gasp, and honestly I would have ended it there. But that wasn't the point of this film. It wasn't a "slice of life." The Artist celebrates 1920s film. Because it was silent and because it was filmed in black and white only added to the charm of the plot, which was not only wonderful but Jean Dujardin as George Valentin looks as though he stepped directly out of a Mack Sennet film.
He had the dancing grace and cheeky charm of Gene Kelly, great comic timing, and flawless expressions. He was egomaniacal, he conveyed joy and sadness, illustrated frustration and despair, was obviously humbled and enchanted  without making a sound.  His expression of enchantment and confusion at being enchanted by the lead girl captivated me.
Speaking of enchanting, Bernice Bejo as Peppy Miller was utterly adorable. I haven't seen anyone that charming (especially in the facial expression department) since Audrey Tautou in Amelie. Seriously, Peppy Miller was quite the enchantress; the kind of girl you could never be friends with because she is spunky, adorable, and beautiful. The costumes were stunning, the direction was wonderful and the acting was brilliant! I sincerly hope Jean Dujardin wins the acadamy award for best actor because he really deserves it. Although he was almost outshined by his partner in crime, a clever little Jack Russel Terrier.
I cannot recommend this filmy highly enough. Although it looks like a film only critics would enjoy, I assure you that the Jordan Commons theater at 8:45 was quite dazzled and delighted. It's as Roger Ebert said in his review, "During a good [black and white film], I fall into a reverie, an encompassing absorption that drops me out of time." The Artist achieves that subtly and brilliantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment